[wp-hackers] has anyone looked at making Edit panels 'simpler'for novices?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Thu Jun 29 04:32:18 GMT 2006

Actually, the point was to look at the 'blocks' on the edit panel as if they
were plugins, or widgets might be a better analogy.  Somewhere to turn them
on and off at a master level, plus somewhere to set how they lay out
(globally, for all users, the default state -- and not per-user cookie or
something...).

People don't need some of those things around.  Setting up more 'CMS' like
sites for other users/companies finds a need for eliminating all non-needed
interfaces, possibly rearranging the rest, including leaving things open
(excerpt at the bottom is a pain, just as example).

As WP gets adopted by more site designers/builders for projects, handing the
site off to truly novice users means the interface has to get much more
streamlined, more stuff can be easily disabled (for 'lower' users) and
hidden, etc.

Again, just IMHO.

-d