[wp-hackers] has anyone looked at making Edit panels 'simpler' for novices?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Thu Jun 29 02:53:22 GMT 2006

___/ On Wed 28 Jun 2006 18:12:42 BST, [ David Chait ] wrote : \___

> for novice users, there's too much on screen on one hand, and on another
> hand the new/cool AJAX boxes can be really confusing.

I tend to agree. Someone whom I taught WordPress (1.2) never
knew  what  the  post  slug was, even  after  18  months  of
blogging...  but I believe that the plus/minus at the top of
the  boxes  is intended to address this already. It  reduces
clutter.

> At the least, I'd love a way to specifically set which blocks are shown,
> what order, and open/close state.  (This should really be stuff under
> writing options, checkboxes or enable/disable like plugins, for each 'edit
> page module', plus maybe a 'force all open' option as well...).

Hmmm....  that's  /more/  options.  The  option  to  disable
options. Leads to circularity...

> just musing... ;)
>

> I thought some of this was discussed when the new ajaxified UI was rolled
> out, but a quick search of my email archives resulted in either no hits or
> way too many... :)

I  think the main deficiency is accessibility. This downside
was raised by Mike Little.

Best wishes,

Roy

--