[wp-hackers] Hack to prevent 404s

Computer Guru ComputerGuru at NeoSmart.net
Wed Jun 14 16:10:54 GMT 2006

Call me thick, but I'm not sure I understand the difference... Unless:
Does yours keep a record of old permalinks used and then use 301-redirect
them to the latest?
Will it also " that are already near the approved permalink structure and
forces them to exactly match it?"
If so, me wants it! ;-)

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/

-----Original Message-----
From: wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com
[mailto:wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com] On Behalf Of Brian Layman
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:50 PM
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Subject: RE: [wp-hackers] Hack to prevent 404s

Yes, thanks Guru. I saw that, downloaded it, and sent him an email about the
typo on his download page. But that plugin does something, well not quite
opposite of what I want, but different.

It takes the links that are already near the approved permalink structure
and forces them to exactly match it.  As the plugin description itself says:
"This plugin ensures that pages and entries are always accessed via the

That's not what I'm gunnin' for.  My plugin is more:
"This plugin allows WP to accept old permalinks and redirect them to the
current permalink structure."

I'll have to call mine something completely different though to make sure
there is a distintion.  I'm thinking 'No More 404!'.  I can even edit one of
those sign carrying smilies and make a nice icon for it...
;)