[wp-hackers] Feeddemon and RSS

Jason Salaz jason at zenenet.com
Thu Jun 8 14:25:02 GMT 2006

On 6/8/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> There was _no reason_ to change the
> standards from commentRss to commentRSS, just pure whimsical wishy-washy
> feelings.

Psst.  Wrong way there buddy. (RSS -> Rss)

I've been using FeedValidator as a standard for a while now.  And I'm
quite bothered that Wordpress cannot commit a two character fix.  I
believe there's been two releases now that have missed the boat.

What was the reason it changed to Rss in the first place?  I don't
know, but this is well formed web's namespace, and we're subject to
their rules/decisions.  If Wordpress is going to support and use wfw,
then it better continue to.

If Wordpress chooses not to, make YOUR OWN namespace and put in the
features YOU want.  But don't drone on around an outdated spec.

Is FeedValidator ***the*** 'standard'?  Heck no, they're a
recommendation, just as much as w3 specifications are.
You see that point?  We follow the w3 specs carefully, because they're
debated, chosen for a reason, and put a LOT of effort behind it.
FeedValidator has an open mailing list, anyone can go in there and
talk about it.  I don't believe I've ever seen Matt do this.  Just
complain about it, and Sam's "political weight" behind FV.

I don't mean this to come off as inflammatory, but I'm really bothered
at the decision here and Matt's previously referenced post.
The FeedValidator is a good point of ensuring things are designed the
way they're meant to be designed (based off the RSS specs).  Just like
w3.
Not to mention:
1) Sam changed "avoid content:encoded" to a warning, not an error.
2) You should consider reading the reason for this warning in the
first place, it's really quite enlightening on the subject.