[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 18:33:05 GMT 2006

About the install and uninstall routines, is this OK?

We'll support three functions:
+Upgrade
+Install
+Remove

Upon successfully deleting the old plugin file and replacing it with the new
one, the server will GET myplugin.php?upgrade

And the same for the rest.

Upgrade/Install/Remove routines will be just pure PHP that will require
_zero_ user intervention. If user input is needed, it should be asked for
upon first run (for install only, the rest shouldn't need anything anyway).

Also, I need some suggestions on handling multi-file plugins.
Do we define some more metadata, say "chainloaded files:" that will be
downloaded along with the plugin, or do we ....?

ATM I'm 100% done with the "Dynamic Plugin Manager" page which successfully
queries an RDF, checks version compatibility with WP and PHP, and gets a
short description of changes. It offers a user an option to upgrade to the
new version, which upon clicking it replaces the old file's contents with
the new ones. It doesn't require DB access at all thus far.

I'll be posting the code as soon as I add some form of "RDF creator" or the
other... tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

For the most part it's just one new file, and minor changes to 3 or 4 others
to pass along extra meta-data and stuff.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/