[wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request

Aaron Brazell emmensetech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 14:19:47 GMT 2006

On 7/25/06, Scot Hacker <shacker at birdhouse.org> wrote:

> > Message: 7
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:28:46 +0300
> > From: Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net>
> >>

> > Have you seen Bad Behaviour?
> > It's a plugin for WordPress that does just that, except instead of
> > blacklisting the IPs themselves, it blacklists their _methods_ by
> > blocking certain UAs, access to files, etc... all from WP itself.
> >
> > Together with Spam Karma 2 (and it's own Akismet plugin for SK2),
> > you can blacklist the IPs _and_ the methods of accessing the blog
> > by spammers, _and_ take advantage of Akismet's spam filters....
> > bullet-proof (for now).
>
> That's a cool technique, but works on a per-blog basis. My "add to
> firewall" method protects all blogs on a shared server with 70+
> accounts, whether they're Movable Type or WP or other, and also
> reduces email spam in cases where the spammy IP is generating both
> weblog and email spam. Spam to one blog results in protection for all
> of them, with the lowest impact on server performance possible. I
> know  it's not for everyone, but works well for admins of shared
> servers.

What happens if the IP is not static and is assigned by DHCP from an ISP to
multiple clients over a period of a month? Or, God forbid, the user is using
AOL and is being routed through the annoying AOL proxies, or simply behind a
regular proxy? Banning the IP could have long lasting detrimental effects,
donchathink?

Just a question.

--
Aaron Brazell
Author & Blogger, http://technosailor.com

"The internet is a series of tubes." -Sen. Ted Stevens