[wp-hackers] Feature Suggestion - OneClick Installs

Kirk Steffensen blogger at steffensenfamily.com
Thu Jul 20 07:35:18 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren wrote:
>> The Installer plugin seems to have requirements as to
>> what can be installed and where it's installed. By using the Ebuild style
>> file, this allows the plugin developer themselves to define where the
>> file is and how to manage the installation of the plugin.
>
>Such flexibility shouldn't be necessary.  Plugins that are installing
>outside of the plugins directory should be spanked and sent to bed.  Bad
>plugin!

I agree that main-line WordPress plugins should be in the plugins directory.
But, if you are writing a plugin for TinyMCE, it has to be in the TinyMCE
directory, /wordpress/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/.

For WPG2 (wpg2.galleryembedded.com), we install the main WordPress plugin in
the WordPress plugins directory, but the Gallery2 Image Chooser
(g2image.steffensenfamily.com) plugin for TinyMCE (which is included with
WPG2) has to go in the TinyMCE plugins directory because TinyMCE won't take
the plugin in another directory.

(Unless I've missed an easy way to make TinyMCE accept a plugin in another
directory.  I've researched and experimented, but have not been able to make
it work any other way.)

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that the other visual editors like FCK
may have similar requirements.

Cheers,
Kirk