[wp-hackers] Pingback Excerpt Contents

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Tue Jul 11 19:51:44 GMT 2006

I just noticed something interesting.  I left Andy a demo pingback here:
http://www.yellowswordfish.com/404/shine-on-you-crazy-diamond#comments
and it actually included the text generated by the Sociable plugin...

[.] So, I am creating a post that links back to his post here so that a ping
back is created on his site.  I will then alter another post to add a track
back to his site. Share and Enjoy:These icons link to social bookmarking
sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. [.]

So, the pingbacks actually pull their excerpt from the_content where
Sociable plugs itself in.  Any which way, I know this isn't a major
end-of-the-world issue.  But it makes me wonder if there many other plugins
are there that add visual stuff this way since putting links at the end of
the post can't be all that rare.

Should pingbacks maybe pull the post directly from the DB? Or should there
be an anchor/indicator of some sort of where the post actually content ends
and add-on text begins?

I'm guessing we should just leave this as is, but I wasn't sure if this was
a problem in the plugin or with how the the_content hook was implemented.
So, I thought I'd mention it.