[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Rob powzor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:38:39 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Jeff Minard <jeff at jrm.cc> wrote:
>
>> That said, I'm rather surprised that WP feeds *don't* come with some
>> styleing anyway. XSL styleing works in all the major browsers and gives
>> people a chance to not be scared off by RSS. You can even do advanced
>> things like what feedburner does in presenting subscription options and
>>

> Feeds are made to be syndicated, read by a feedreader, and not much
> more. The point of RSS is for when people do not want to visit your
> site every five minutes to read your content, they just want a
> stripped down version of your content that an aggregator can read, and
> they can click the links back to your site if they like. XSL defeats
> the purpose of creating feeds in the first place, you're essentially
> making a second website for people to come and visit, which is really
> a silly idea.
>
> That said, I have objection to including the hook, but I do to ever
> including XSL by default in WP, its just silly bloat.
>
> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

IMO, having some simple XSL that displays a quick notice about what RSS
is and how to use the feed works wonders for novice users who have no
idea what RSS is. Check the BBC's feeds, for example:

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/front_page/rss.xml

Something similar for Wordpress - in plugin form at least - would be great.

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/ | http://kantian.co.uk/