[wp-hackers] Backup plugin and writability

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Jan 8 11:32:28 GMT 2006

I enabled the WordPress 2.0 backup plugin and tried to backup. I got
these two messages:

WARNING: Your wp-content directory is NOT writable! We can not create
the backup directory.
/var/www/cafe/wp-content/backup-05ad9/

WARNING: Your backup directory is NOT writable! We can not create the
backup directory.
/var/www/cafe/

1. Why is it trying to writing anything to /var/www/cafe/?
/var/www/cafe/wp-content/backup-05ad9/ I understand, but /var/www/cafe
shouldn't need to be written.

2. Why isn't it using /usr/tmp for temporary files like a good Unix program?

3. Is there any way to configure it to tell it to use this location instead?

I'm very nervous about making directories world writable just so
WordPress can muck with them.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu