[wp-hackers] Autosave

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Tue Jan 3 16:31:50 GMT 2006

Brad Fults wrote:
> On 1/2/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm hesitant to put auto-saves or emergency recovery info in the posts
>>table. The publishing model of WP is very different from Gmail. In Gmail
>>you are composing until it is sent, then it's gone forever. In WordPress
>>you may edit something constantly.
>

> Agreed, it should be put in the DB as a user option which will hold
> only one lost post at a time.

I can't see this being good. I have several drafts right now. Which one
gets the autosave? Do I have to *pick* which article I choose to be safe
with? What a hassel! Is it a rotating basis? What if I am editing two
articles at once? What if (yes, it happens) I have a shared account and
we're both editing at the same time? Who's piece gets the autosave space?

This idea of a single "bucket" was discussed futher up in the thread.

Matt, you raise an excellent point about not autosaving a
'published'/'static' state post. That makes sense -- so saving that info
serialized into a post meta field works nicely. When it's a draft, skip
the overhead and just put the autosave data right into the table (or
update if that post has an id already.)