[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Joey B tunicwriter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:48:04 GMT 2006

There's not a lot a plugin author can do during the beta phase since
things are bound to change, and whatever work is accomplished will
more than likely be undone by time the final product is released.

On top of that, the RC was announced on *checks the date* December
20th, with 2.0 officially being announced on the 31st. However, if I
recall correctly, it was out on the 26th. So saying the process was
months long, while true, seems a bit misleading, considering, again
with the beta process, and that the RC announcement was 6 days prior
to the release. Furthermore, I'm not positive of how many people
actually subscribe to wp-testers, but I know not that many people show
up for the IRC Meetups. I'd say a good 15-20 or so on average, which
is obviously no where near the amount of plugin authors out there.

On 2/8/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 14:10 +0000, David House wrote:
> > On 08/02/06, Ryan Duff <ryan at ryanduff.net> wrote:
> > > Advance notifications would be nice. Oh wait, I guess your logic is most
> > > plugin authors don't follow the hackers list, therefore, why make an
> > > announcement or have a public beta so they can fix things.
> >
> > We could have a mailing list for plugin authors to subscribe to that
> > only posted preview release announcements. Or, we could put it on the
> > devblog with a big disclaimer: 'do not actually install, for plugin
> > authors only'.
>
> We do need to do better with release planning, but the beta and RC cycle
> for 2.0 was months long and several announcements were made.  The RC
> was announced on the dev blog.  Several announcements were made to the
> testers list.  The weekly IRC meetup discussed the releases.
>
> For 2.1, we need to try to nail down a release schedule.  The schedule
> can always be changed if needed, but having even a moving target is
> nice.
>
> Ryan

Joey Brooks
Milk Carton Designs || milkcartondesigns.com