[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Feb 8 02:07:05 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren wrote:
> For you, any advantage probably isn't worthwile.  You actually maintain
> your plugins.  Most plugins are unmaintained, however.  Most plugin
> authors do not follow the hackers list, and they wait until after a
> release to update their plugins.  That's too late.  I'm trying to figure
> a way to improve the end user experience.  Every time we try to address
> this, we all get into this same argument and nothing is ever done.

I can see this developing somewhat akin to the Debian maintainer
process.  The Debian maintainers apply patches and modify projects in
ways to ensure compliance and compatibility with the Debian core.  They
submit patches upstream, and upgrade their managed versions as needed.

What's being proposed is not an easy undertaking.  Plugin maintainership
will require _a lot_ of time initially, due to code reviews and testing.
It'll require more time as plugins evolve, and the code needs to be
re-reviewed.  Bug reports from users will need to be sent upstream, etc etc.

I agree that the notification of problems resulting from core changes is
a huge benefit.  I'd like to see these core changes announced somewhere
other than just trac tickets, so that the fringe developers can still
benefit from the information.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35