[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Feb 8 01:54:08 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
>> If a plugin in wp-plugins needs to be updated to work with a new
>> release, the crack team of plugin gardeners can fix it and commit the
>> change.  I can't fix a plugin that lives in a repository to which I do
>> not have committ access.  That's the main advantage from my point of
>> view.
>

> It's not an invalid advantage by any stretch.  And yet, in an
> environment with two primary committers with deific control over the
> core repo, you can see how I would feel oddly about this.

Hey, almost all of your patches go straight in. :-)

> I mean, I can't set permissions on my own repo for developers I trust
> with my vision, but any old gardener can come along and modify my code
> as they see fit?

Would be nice to have better access control.

Bug gardeners would have to limit their changes to the scope of fixing
incompatibility problems.  Troublesome gardeners would have access revoked.

> I know I'm not the only one that sees something weird going on here.

For you, any advantage probably isn't worthwile.  You actually maintain
your plugins.  Most plugins are unmaintained, however.  Most plugin
authors do not follow the hackers list, and they wait until after a
release to update their plugins.  That's too late.  I'm trying to figure
a way to improve the end user experience.  Every time we try to address
this, we all get into this same argument and nothing is ever done.

Ryan