[wp-hackers] Bizarre /cache/ experience with wp_object_cache.lock

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Feb 3 23:33:22 GMT 2006

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2006, at 6:02 AM, David House wrote:
>
>> At the moment we have a constant,
>> ENABLE_CACHE, which you can define in wp-config.php to enable the
>> cache even when safe mode is on.
>

> We'll still need an option if we want to automatically disable the
> cache when it isn't working an avoid those 300+ query loads.  The
> average user (a) isn't going to know that 300 queries are being made)
> and (b) probably won't figure out very quickly how to do define
> ('DISABLE_CACHE', true); to revert to the old cache method.

You can't really use options from the cache because the cache is loaded
before everything except wpdb.  You could do a direct SELECT, but
get_option() is not available.

Maybe we should simply disable persistent caching by default and let
those who want it and know they can use it turn it on.  I'm getting
tired of working around safe_mode and all of the other issues.

Ryan