***SPAM*** Re: [wp-hackers] Spam load

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Wed Dec 27 16:59:21 GMT 2006

> I  have  always thought that mailing list had some  implicit
> exclusion  from  mail filters, but maybe it's no longer  the
> case.
Surely you can add your own white list, can't you?  The hacker list's
subject line should be easy enough to allow through or you could just allow
the ip address of the list server 207.7.108.189.  1and1 has its own spam
filter (which is what added the ***SPAM*** tag to the text above).  But it
is wrong 99% of the time.  It's practically useless.

So, I've written my own in PHP and cron it through my server.
http://www.thecodecave.com/article288  Since the initial configuration, I've
not gotten any false positives and now just purge the emails without even
looking at them.  I suppose I should run it without purging now and then,
but no one has ever complained about any missing emails.  So, I think I'm
still pretty good.

Email SPAM IS pretty far off topic to comment spam.  But I've got to ask...

RE:
> (Cringely on Earthlink E-mail)
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Here is something I wish I were making up. A good friend of mine noticed
> | last June a sudden and precipitous decline in his volume of incoming
> | e-mail with the numbers dropping by 80-90 percent. Was he less popular,
> | less interesting than before? Or maybe some Bayesian filter had been
> | imposed by his ISP (Earthlink) to suddenly spare him completely from
> | spam. No such luck.
> `----
Well..... What was the problem then????  Is this like a cliff hanger
episode?

OK found the reference..
The end of the story:
"Since June, he was told, EarthLink's mail system has been so overloaded
that some users have been missing up to 90 percent of their incoming e-mail.
It isn't bounced back to senders; it just disappears. And EarthLink hasn't
mentioned the problem to these affected customers unless they complain. The
two groups affected are those who get their mail with an EarthLink-hosted
domain and those with aliased e-mail addresses like my friend's Blackberry."
- http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061201_001274.html Dec.
01 2006