[wp-hackers] Where Can I Ask These Questions?

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 15:43:35 GMT 2006

On 12/15/06, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:

> Here's something I'm throwing out there.  What about if the mods in
> the WP.org support forums were given a way of marking a thread as
> "expert" ?  As needing the advice of an expert.  If it's something
> they've never seen, and something that Google and the Codex know
> nothing about, they could tag it as needing an expert opinion.
> People like me could subscribe to that tag in their RSS reader.  As
> long as it was only a few questions a week and as long as it
> adequately filtered lazy or repeat questions, I'd be happy to chime
> in with answers when I have them.  The problem with the forums the
> signal to noise ratio is too low for people with expert knowledge.

That was one of the suggestions offered in the original discussion.  The
more positively received idea was to have a special forum that only mods
could create posts in, but anyone could reply in, but that idea has fallen
on deaf ears.

Perhaps those that would be willing to offer this type help agree on a tag,
and I will make sure that the active volunteers know the tag, and understand
what level of inquiry would warrant the tag.  I'll then post back to
wp-hackers with the exact feed link for that tag.

I suggest something fairly unique, so as to limit the noise.  (wp-advanced
???)

Expert might work, but there are the occasional posts tagged "expert" when
they are referenced to something more appropriate for wp-pro, but then
again, those answering these type threads may be interested in some
potentially paying work.

feed://http//wordpress.org/support/rss/tags/expert

Anyway, if there's some consensus for the tag, I will make sure that it gets
used, at least that would be a start.  Once that happens, perhaps I can
coordinate with someone from wp-docs to see that some of that might be
worthy of addition to codex.

Michael