[wp-hackers] Lyceum integration

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Thu Aug 10 07:23:18 GMT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Ryan wrote:

>> Not having followed its development, I'm curious why Lyceum is
>> basically
>> a WP fork. Why weren't these  capabilities simply  added to
>> WordPress?
>> For those of us working in education, large organizations, and
>> hosting
>> businesses, it would be a huge boon to be able to have just ONE WP
>> installation, without having to deploy forked projects  that might
>> not
>> stay current  with WP trunk.
>
> WPMU stays current with WP trunk.  The two are synced with each other
> regularly.
>
>> I'm sure there are good reasons for the forks. What are they?
>
> They are better able to serve their purpose as forks.

Can you elaborate please? Do you mean better able to serve their
purpose for the sake of developers, or for users? Certainly a ton of
users would prefer to have WP be multi-blog capable.  If a user
starts a blog and then decides they want another (which I can attest
happens frequently with my users), do they then do a 2nd WP
installation (and have to worry about upgrading them separately), or
try and figure out how to integrate their existing blog into Lyceum
or MU? Why not just build it into the main trunk and future-proof all
users? Is there some issue with extra overhead or code complexity?
I'm just trying to get a handle on the reasons for what seems like a
huge omission in the WP feature list.

Thanks,
Scot