[wp-hackers] Rethinking check_admin_referer()

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Mon Apr 17 06:26:47 GMT 2006

Protecting the WordPress admin from CSF attacks with
check_admin_referer() is getting really old for me.  Many mobile
browsing devices go through a proxy that strips them, and more and
more people at home are getting "Internet security" suites that are
stripping them.  I had a client ask me "why is this happening?  I
never had problems like this with Movable Type."  Yeah, I could give
him the whole reason for it, but from his perspective it is just
"this is annoying, and I've only had this problem with WordPress."
And seeing that there is a way around this that, I don't see why we
shouldn't pursue it.

Here's my suggestion:

1) function wp_secure_form($key='') { }

This function would echo out a hidden from input with an md5 hash
computed on (a) the database password, (b) the userid, and (c) the
optional key.  This would give us a hash that is unique to the
specific WP user on that install, and optionally, specific to the
particular task being performed.  For example, for deleting a post,
you could do wp_secure_form('delete_post_' . $post_id); and it would
be locked down to the install, the user, the "delete" action, and
that specific post.

2) function wp_check_form($key='') { }

This would just compare the computed hash against $_POST
['wp_secure_form_key']; or something.

We could take this opportunity to do a thorough check for unsecured
forms, as well as recommend that plugin authors use this method.  I'm
willing to write the patch, but it's not going to be a 15-minute
affair, and my time is increasingly scarce, so I'd like to get some
positive feedback (especially from someone with commit access) before
spending time on it.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/