[wp-hackers] a plugin of a theme's own

Trevor Turk trevorturk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 14:26:40 GMT 2005

> Lee McFadden wrote:
> > I'm still not 100% sure of the reason behind
> allowing a theme to
> > define it's own functions.  Surely, if a theme
> *requires* plugins to
> > work they should be detailed in the readme, along
> with installation
> > instructions (not that they're needed with WP),
> and included in the
> > download package for the theme.
> >
> > Yes the new include is convenient, but convenience
> shouldn't be
> > implimented for the sake of it.  The difference
> between editing
> > /wp-content/themes/Theme01/functions.php and
> > /wp-content/plugins/pluginName.php is a small one
> IMHO.

I think the idea is that themes which make use of a
lot of plugins, like k2, benefit from this because it
makes it much easier to get things up and running the
way the theme designer intended.

Now, I understand the point that convenience features
shouldn't always be included, but I think that the
goal of making themes more flexible, powerful, and
easier to install is a worthy one.