[wp-hackers] Disabling Feeds

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:01:31 GMT 2005

On 9/13/05, Trevor Turk <trevorturk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I don't quite get what you're saying
> here.

The essence of what I said was that the feeds should also have some of the
hooks that the other "templates" have in the header, for example. However
for the registered_only plugin to work _ideally_, with the same hooks,
someone should be able to use something like LJ's HTTP digest auth system
for feeds.

The reason I am looking into this is actually because
> of your plugin, where you recommend that the feeds be
> disabled if you are requiring users to be logged in to
> see the site. That's because the feeds aren't
> protected in that same way via your plugin. So, I'm
> basically, in this case, looking for the quickest way
> to secure the site - including the feeds. It would
> appear that setting the number of items to publish in
> a feed to 0 solves the problem, although having
> something that "protect" feeds like you can with the
> site in general would be cool. I think this is a
> problem that a lot of people are seeing with RSS, etc,
> and perhaps isn't really something worth tackling at
> this point.

Setting "0" solves the problem, but creates a new one - even registered
users wont be able to read anything in the feeds :)

Are you saying that there is a better way to disable

> and/or protect the feeds, in order to better serve
> sites that require a higher level of security?

I am saying there should be some thought put into this.

Carthik.

--- Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Forgive me for top-posting, but it would be a better
> > fix to make the feed
> > files also behave like, say the blog main page does
> > - there is no reason for
> > them not to, since they deliver content too. Adding
> > some of the hooks that
> > exist in the header for a normal page would be all
> > that is needed for this
> > (like 'init').

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida