[wp-hackers] The next release.

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Wed Oct 26 16:05:22 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
>
>>I take personal offense to the idea that a robust backup script is not
>>hard to implement.

> Owen _substantially_ contributed to WP-DB Backup to make it what it is
> today.  It is a success in no small way because of his contributions.
> Thanks again, Owen.
>
> I still get emails from people with problems.  Most of them seem to
> result from faulty detection of gzip support on the host server.
>
> My code is available under the GPL.  If anyone thinks they can make a
> better backup system for WordPress, I encourage you to do so.  Feel free
> to use as much of WP-DB Backup as you need to succeed.

Here's my code, also GPL'd, use it if you want. Works well on *nix
systems where you can run it as a cron job and have enough access to
actually do things:

#!/bin/bash

DT=`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`

mysqldump -u myname -pmypasswd wordpressdb >
/home/myname/backups/wordpressdb-$DT.dump

gzip /home/myname/backups/wordpressdb-$DT.dump

It's not perfect, but it works for me. (Note: may not be fit for human
consumption.)

I really should look at the real WP backup solutions, but I put this one
in place right after I installed WP. Oh, don't forget to manage your
backups, less you fill up your disk space. (Though gzipped dumps are
fairly small in my case.)

Pete