[wp-hackers] Referrer Spam

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Oct 10 02:41:58 GMT 2005

Has anybody come across plenty of referral spam recently? Sex and pills from
Tonga in particular?

For the past week I have been getting about 500 illegitimate visits on a daily
basis. To make things worse, the page consistently requested is that which
'hammers' my server the most (and this appears to be no coincidence). Is it
possible that WordPress gets specifically targetted? I am judging as I look at
two completely separate domains running WordPress and I don't hear about
similar issues in UseNet's WWW-related groups. The spam appears to come from
the same folks, but for the latter domain this began only a few days ago and is
on the rise. Tens of thousands of database queries a day still get invoked in
vain by the spammers and this appears to exacerbate as the days go by.

Am I alone in this? Could you please check your logs? Many .to suffixes as one
symptom?

Cheers,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  3:30am  up 45 days 15:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.60, 0.65