[wp-hackers] Looking for quick input on creating new action hooks...

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Fri May 27 23:31:42 GMT 2005

  wp_post_out_start
and
  wp_post_out_end

...Or something along those lines.  The concept is actions that (in future
templates, or added to current ones) would execute inside the post DIV, one
right at the start, one right at the end.  I'm working on plugins that allow
you to insert custom content into The Loop without editing the template, and
figure why have people call a custom function, when they could just have
do_action('wp_post_out_end');   Y'know what I mean?  Seems like sprinkling
new action hook locations is more useful than adding another function call
directly because:

1. it insulates the 'disabling plugin wrecks the template' issues.
2. it allows for further plugin development to extend across templates,
making better plugins AND themes.  might even spark ideas for plugins when
you see where you can insert things dynamically.
3. as templates add the 'generic' actions, switching themes should retain
functionality.

Thoughts?  Are those names self-explanatory?

Thanks,
-d