[wp-hackers] Pings

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue May 24 16:00:48 GMT 2005

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> I think that there should be a pseudo-cron service built into WP.
> events could be loaded up with scheduled times.  As soon as the time for
> the post's display comes around, and the first person loads WP, the
> cron's scheduled time will be earlier than the current time, and the
> pings/trackbacks should be fired off.  This pseudo-cron could run with
> one SQL query... SELECT * FROM `wp_cron` WHERE `time` < '$now';
>
> I agree that firing off trackbacks to a non-existent entry is bad.  In
> fact, it's behavior that will get you blacklisted in many places.

I wrote:
http://weblogtoolscollection.com/pluginblog/2005/05/21/wp-cron-update-1/

"My new plugin, WP-Cron Future Pings, suppresses the default ping and
trackback action when you post a new item dated in the future. Then
(roughly) every 15 minutes the plugin checks to see if any future-dated
posts are now visible to readers. If they are, the pings and trackbacks
are sent!"

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35