[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat May 21 20:12:23 GMT 2005

I wanted some community feedback on where we should go next with
development. There are basically two directions we could go right now,
one is to a 1.5.2 release which focuses on incremental changes and
improvements to the very-solid 1.5 base, or we could start working on
adding some major functionality changes for a 1.6 release. (I realize
this could happen at the same time, I don't think we should branch
development.)

There has been some excellent usability feedback has come in from
Gabriel White's paper, some upcoming feedback from my friend Jane Wells,
and WordPress will be a project at the next FLOSS usability sprint at
the end of July. I think there is lots of room for improvement in the
administration interface and improving that experience could definitely
be a focus of development for a good while. Improvements in usability
and inline help would also ease the burden on the support forums.

There are some pretty ambitious things on the table for 1.6:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_1.6

(Note, if we call it 1.6 doesn't that break the fibbonaci sequence?)

As much more core code will be touched it's likely that compatibility
with some things will be broken and there will need to be a long testing
period.

Anyway I'm curious to hear thoughts about either direction.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com