[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Thu May 19 20:40:00 GMT 2005

I think feed: takes us backwards, rather than forward. Comparing feed: to
DOS file extensions would probably make sense. It is redundant.

Technically, and as point out in a previous message, feed: is not a
protocol. And usability-wise, it would make more sense if the browser
handled feeds automatically, without any need for feed:. When you open a
Word document in IE, IE asks if you want to save it or if you want to open
Word to read it. Likewise, IE and FF should go: "Hey, my user just opened an
RSS feed; I'll ask my user if he wants to subscribe to it or if he wants the
raw XML."

Thus, and on closer inspection, I find myself wondering if MS will implement
feed: at all, in IE7 and Longhorn. Surely, some MS usability person will
pinpoint the above two points. They are strong arguments against. And
possible show stoppers for widespread feed: adoption.

--
Denis de Bernardy
http://www.semiologic.com