[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Thu May 19 03:39:58 GMT 2005

Quoting Ryan Duff <ryan at ryanduff.net>:

> Matthew Thomas wrote:
>> Mihailo Stefanovi? wrote:
>>
>>> Please excuse my ignorance, but I have another (stupid) question.
>>> What is the advantage of using:
>>>
>>> feed:http://example.com/something
>>>
>>> instead of (more logical and intuitive, if you ask me):
>>>
>>> feed://example.com/something
>> That wouldn't work if your WordPress site (and therefore your feed)
>> was being served over HTTPS.
>>
> I know a majority of the wordpress community (me included) are *nix
> geeks, but seriously, have you ever seen somebody's blog served over
> https:// ? (note: the link to your site http://mpt.net.nz/)

Using https where it is by no means valuable is a poor choice. https is
good for
nothing but admiration unless it serves a purpose.

As a matter of fact, https often makes things worse. It shuts the door on
certain browsers and platforms, it breaks consistency, and it slows down or
annihilates crawling (I am sure many WordPressers rely on Google for
visitors).

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz