[wp-hackers] WP Plugin Option API

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:43:05 GMT 2005

Well, what was going through my head was that the options for a plugin
is the most difficult, and a set of wrappers to make forms exactly
like the default options page wouldn't be too awfully difficult, I'm
just spending a lot of time thinking about if there should be like
some sort error checking to make sure the user closes the form and
such, but at the same time, I don't think it should be necessary as
long as developers remember to call the function to close the form and
such. I think I'll leave out any form of error checking initially and
just design the forms around the functions they call. I've already got
some coding done, so if you would all like I'll post a pre-alpha to
the list within the next couple days (spring break, so plenty of time
free).

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:39:33 +0100, Mike Little <journalized at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be totally non-constructive, I have to say I'm quite amused by this
> conversation.
>
> Automatic forms and forms processing based on functional groups of
> options was what I originally coded for the options, when I took them
> out of the configuration file. That code got ripped out some time last
> year. Mostly, as far as I can gather because the groupings weren't
> intuitive and the forms were ugly. Though
> http://example.com/blog/wp-admin/options.php?group_option_id=all still
> works.
>
> Sorry, that didn't help at all...
>
> I think the general idea of having the core code handle the options
> for a plugin is a good idea (no surprise there).
> A plugin during installation could register a group of options, which
> would be added to the database. There would have to be some kind of
> naming conventions, such that no two plugins ended up with the same
> group name (or option name for that matter). There would also have to
> be some way to distinguish plugins installed but not currently active
> so their options weren't presented to the user.
>
> An idea (if this code is going in the core -- and I think it should)
> is to have an optional file name associated with the group of options
> so that the code could call the plugins own options page if enabled or
> else handle it as described.
>
> Anyway, there are some good ideas here, keep fleshing them out.
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Little
> http://zed1.com/journalized/