[wp-hackers] advanced-cache.php ?

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:28:21 GMT 2005

Alright, let's see if I can clear this all up.

1. About multiple authors writing a plugin for this, that's one of the
reasons it's hardcoded into the core. It only allows one
advanced-cache.php file to be loaded.

2. This goes outside the flow of normal plugins because it is not a
normal plugin. Its loaded before anything else is, which means that it
has the potential to be a real lightweight caching plugin in the sense
that there would be almost no PHP overhead to run this file since its
called before all other code. Unlike current caching plugins like
staticize, every file doesn't need to be loaded first before it is,
its loaded before most of the core.

3. There is no example of this that I know of, but I'd imagine that
it'd only take about an hour or so to build a basic one.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:27:52 -0800, jeff at jrm.cc <jeff at jrm.cc> wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
> > jeff at jrm.cc wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually, no one can write anything for it. The file doesn't exist!
> >> That's what I'm trying to find out is "Where is it?"
> >
> > The plugin that uses this file *supplies* this file.  It *is* the plugin
> > file.  It's not really a plugin in a traditional sense.
>
> That is thoroughly confusing.
>
> So if you make a plugin that uses caching, then you should supply
> advanced-cache.php to users? What if multiple authors do this? That
> would get messy quickly.
>
> If it's supposed to just be one general 'plugin', why isn't in in the
> default file structure, and why would it reside outside of the normal
> flow of plugins (ie, being specially defined in the wp-settings.php and
> not being in the plugins/ folder)
>
> Finally, does this exist, and where can it be downloaded from? I can't
> find an example of this file anywhere.
>
> [20 minutes later...]
>
> After talking with carthik on IRC, I think things are clearing up. I
> started this looking for some caching functions I could use for plugins
> that I make. Simple function like get_cache() that checks against a last
> updated time limit, or checks against a modifed timestamp. I thought
> this was what this might be, but maybe not?
>
> So then, then question truely is what is this file supposed to do?
>
> Jeff Minard

--Robert Deaton
http://anothersadsong.com