[wp-hackers] Compose Screen

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:51:35 GMT 2005

On 6/24/05, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> Items to note:
> * I've removed the sub-menu for "Write Post" and "Write Page".  This
> screen is just "Compose".  From this screen you choose what the final
> disposition will be.

'Write' makes more sense IMO. We're not writing an email here. Emails
are more message-like, blog posts are more article-like.

> * The post-slug field could use some javascript magic to automatically
> fill in, based on the post title.  Obviosuly previous posts of the same
> name will alter the post slug; so maybe AJAX here?  Or remove this
> option altogether?  After all, options are bad.

Remove it.

> * There's still some wiggle room for shuffling things around above the
> post composition field.  I realize I forgot to put the comments/pings
> checkboxes back in -- they probably should go after the date section.

Or underneath the category section.

> * There is only a single SAVE button.  Next to that you choose what
> you're saving.  Since Pages live in the posts table, and since lots of
> people ask to be able to save drafts of Pages, I think this works well.:
> everything is saved as a draft until you choose otherwise.

Brilliant.

> (This does not address the request for Pages to be categorized, despite
> using a unified interface...)

> I'm sure lots of people on this list will be happy to tear this proposal
> apart, since it's only a modest step beyond the original post screen.
> Please show me something substantially better.

* Put the author fieldset in the 'Advanced' section. I don't
understand why I'd want to write as anyone other than me, so I'd
personally remove it completely, but I assume there's some reason for
its existance.
* I'd prefer to seperate mulitple URIs in the 'send trackbacks'
section with newlines in a textarea.
* Come to think of it, I think most users don't know what a URI is.
Stick to URLs.
* I see you've removed the 'edit timestamp' checkbox. Good :)
* Rename 'Excerpt' as 'Optional Excerpt'.

Other than that, I like it. It'd probably load a fair bit faster than
the new interface as well :)

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net