[wp-hackers] Plugin Localization

Ryan Duff ryan at ryanduff.net
Fri Jun 24 01:41:54 GMT 2005

David Chait wrote:
> Sounds like the plugins/<plugin sub dir>/ approach would be the best for
> the long haul, as anything custom translated for a plugin should stay
> WITH the plugin.
>
> I've also gotten requests to put my multi-file plugins into single
> folders for easier management, which mirrors the same issue (clutter &
> 'packaging').
>
> -d

Thats my pick of the two. We've begun to throw wp-contact-form into a
folder to keep all the files together. Cleaner for the dev and the user.
One folder to upload, one folder to delete.

Maybe something like this for an updated load_plugin_textdomain()
function to check if the plugin resides in a sub-folder...

function load_plugin_textdomain($domain) {
     $locale = get_locale();
     $plug_dir = dirname(__FILE__);

		if ($plug_dir != 'plugins') {
				$mofile = $plug_dir . "$domain-$locale.mo";
		} else {
				$mofile = ABSPATH . "wp-content/plugins/$domain-$locale.mo";
		}

     load_textdomain($domain, $mofile);
}

rboren: any comments?