WordPress Openness (was Re: [wp-hackers] UI development for 1.6)

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:25:10 GMT 2005

On 6/23/05, Christian Mohn <h0bbel at p0ggel.org> wrote:
> >>I did an SVN update, got 1.6-alpha and now i'm not even allowed to
> >>report a bug that makes all my new posts have a published date in 1970.
> >>:(
> >You should use the TAGS not the TRUNK to get last stable versione, where
> you can choose all >1.5 flavors realeased till now.
>
> Fair enough, and I'm not saying that it's not my fault. I would, however,
> think that radical changes like the current ones should be done in it's own
> branch and tested there before adding it to the main trunk.

Well trunk by it's nature is pretty much an unstable tag on it's own
and a separate branch is only usually used when working on major
changes that may not be included in the codebase often when there is a
disagreement between the development team, these sometimes become
forks and other times the branch gets incorporated into the main
codebase.

So if you use TRUNK you WILL get breakage guaranteed.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster at kde.org