[wp-hackers] Developing 1.6

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 23 16:24:51 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>> If the new admin looks incoporate the wysiwyg stuff and an easy
>> managmente for upload images and files, with some interface
>> reoganization it's a price to pay to have new funtions,
>
> So long as every user knows exactly what is happening. Every version so
> far hasn't really changed the admin. This is major surgery.

Version 1.2 was major surgery to the admin interface.

>> it would be more confusing, harder to support through the
>> codex documentation every time there is an admin problme you will need
>> to know what admin inteface is in use
>
> As things look from where I'm standing, 1.6 should have it's own new
> Codex. 1.5 will be around for a long time yet and trying to have one
> codex for both may well be confusing anyway.
>
>> there will be plentu of time for codex people to set up new pages about
>> it ready to be realesed when 1.6 will be launched.
>
> There is never enough time.

<http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-docs/2005-February/000038.html>
<http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-docs/2005-February/000043.html>

Perhaps this time people will believe me. :-)

> Fix what's broken already - and admin isn't broken.

It's not broken, but I think it's not nearly as intuitive as it could
be. It's reminiscent of Windows 3.1 -- massively popular for its time,
and a decent advance over the previous version, but there's still scope
for major improvement.

To make this a bit more constructive: Which parts of WordPress *do* you
regard as "broken"?

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/