[wp-hackers] Re: Sqlite

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Jun 23 08:25:02 GMT 2005

David Chait wrote:
> But that actually brings up a great question: does WP >have< to depend
> upon the mysql date type?  I see constant conversions back and forth
> between formats, and I'm not sure it actually buys that much (at the
> cost of losing portability).  I guess specific 'calendar' functions are
> easier with the datetime stuff (i.e., +1 month == how many seconds?
> depends on the calendar source date! ;) ) -- but don't know how much
> that stuff is used, or how easily it could be replaced.  (Matt, any
> thoughts?)

No, we probably need to abstract our date handling stuff out somehow. I
remember the adodb date handling code being recommended a long time ago.
Even though we store dates in the extremely flexible mysql DATETIME format
we still handle it internally using date() functions so anything before
1969 is useless. (Faux historical blogs or diaries, for example.) It may
also be a good first step toward *lightweight* database portability as well.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com