[wp-hackers] Media RSS

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Thu Jun 2 06:23:07 GMT 2005

I'm new to this list, so my apologies if this has been discussed
previously, but nothing turned up in my searches.

I need Media RSS support for my Wordpress blog.  I was planning on
coding it myself since I didn't see anyone who seemed to be working on
it, but I decided to check here because there's a couple of questions I had:

1) Is anyone working on this now?  Last thing I can find is Matt talking
about it on his blog back in December.  I'd be happy to contribute or
just wait to avoid duplication of efforts.
2) This can't be developed as a plugin.  The hooks aren't there.  This
leads me to ask, if I was go about coding this, would anyone be
interested in me writing the code to add the necessary hooks and then
writing Media RSS as a plugin to that?  Or would people prefer I wrote a
patch that does Media RSS?  Would anyone accept the patch into
mainstream if I wrote it?
3) In terms of the other metadata Media RSS supports, is anyone
interested in added fields to the post page (i.e., poster graphic for a
video) to accomplish this, or should it all be done through custom
fields (not very user friendly, but low-impact)?
4) I have another requirement which most decidedly probably should be
written as a plugin, but it brings up a more interesting overarching
point that I"m going to bring up to the Media RSS group as well.  My
postings come in through XMLRPC from an external video provider.  They
do the transcoding for me, so thusly I have 6 media files per blog post
(thus the need for Media RSS support).  However, this is all hidden
behind a javascript which allows the user to determine which embedded
player to use.  Other than throwing some kind of links hidden by CSS or
something in there or posting some XML into the page that I can then
fold into the Media RSS somehow, I can't think of another way to
accomplish this other than extending the XMLRPC API.  I've not done this
before or even investigated it.  What's the precedent for this?  Would I
be able to get any support in the community for this, for scenarios such
as this when we're posting media blog posts from an external provider
via XMLRPC?

OK, I think that's enough questions for now. :)

Clint