[wp-hackers] WP as FAQ/ Knowledge Base System

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 08:15:41 GMT 2005

On 22/07/05, Frank Naude <naudefj at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Would it be possible to hack WP into a FAQ/ Knowledge Base system, or are
> there better products to use? This is what I would like to achieve:

This is certainly possible. I don't know of any other systems that
would do the job, but there probably are some, so maybe you should
check those out before you proceed. Anyway, assuming you're going with
WordPress:

> First page must show a Yahoo-directory of category links.

Create your own theme where index.php calls wp_list_cats().

> Drilling down must show a Yahoo-directory of subcategories, and
> a listing of posts in that category.

In this theme of yours, make category.php list the sub categories
below the posts.

> Posts and categories should be listed in logical order - 'book-style'. I guess
> this can only be achieved by entering a "sort key" to control Category/ Post
> display order.

What do you mean, 'book style'?

> Any ideas/ pointers will be greatly appreciated!

This should all be possible with just a custom theme.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net