[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Jul 12 19:56:34 GMT 2005

Someone posts to the forums and says "I'm going to create a website for
someone famous and I expect 100,000 hits a day. Can WP handle this ?"

It would seem that the response would be "Use wp-cache, it might handle it".

"Might"

Why should they invest time energy and money when it "might not" ?

The people asking these questions may have no idea about maths /
requests / bursts / dedicated whatever - they are asking for help in
making an informed choice. Is "might" the best we can offer ?
Would it be good to read that a big site dumped WP because - as /they/
see it - WP couldn't handle the traffic ? It doesn't matter what the
answer really is, no-ne will hear that.

I do not think it unreasonable for WP to have an answer which people
could be told to pass to their host. Make the contents of that answer as
  geeky and as technical as you want because right now it is better than
what we have - which at best is guesswork, and at worst nothing.

And that post at the top ? It's been asked a few times now.

P.