[wp-hackers] Automatic Saving?

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Sat Dec 31 19:11:39 GMT 2005

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> It  would cause a mess in my opinion. I always CTRL+A, CTRL+C before I ap-
> ply  any  changes. WordPress tried to 'help' with the markup and is  some-
> times  devouring  code and/or text in process. What I proposed before  was
> keeping  a  stack of versions so that one can undo, reverting to  previous
> states for the reason listed above.

I *know* versioning plugins exist for wordpress. That, however, is a
separate issue.

> Other concerns: some people might edit off-line or be in the midst of typ-
> ing. It's too unpredictable.

AJAX doesn't need to interupt the user while auto saving. Additionally,
if the AJAX call fails (offline, time out, etc) a cookie can be
Javascript'ed to hold the data. Later on WP could recognize the cookie
and say "Hey, you were working on a post" and proceed.

Jeff