[wp-hackers] Importing custom format into WordPress

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Dec 30 12:42:50 GMT 2005

I've got a custom site with a few dozen posts and maybe the same number
of comments I'd like to migrate to WordPress.

Short of doing it by hand, are there any suggestions for moving this
over? Ideally I'd like to generate one big XML (or other simple format)
document out of the current site and then slurp it into WordPress. is
this even remotely possible?

I've looked at the import scripts for other blogging systems and none of
them are that close to what I'm doing. It does strike me that it would
be nice if there were some standard import/export format for blogs that
everyone supported to make these sorts of operations simpler. I know
other people have been talking about this in the wake of recent outages.
  Has anyone gotten anywhere with this so far?

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu