[wp-hackers] Any chance of the "Kubrick vs hReview" patch being accepted prior to WP 2.0 release?

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:40:54 GMT 2005

On 21/12/05, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> I hadn't heard much about microformats prior to this thread, but now
> I've done a little googling and I think I get the idea.  The
> microformats idea sounds attractive on the face of it, but perhaps this
> thread is explaining why it fails for at least some use cases? As long
> as you insist on shoving everything into one flat namespace, then name
> conflicts are inevitable. The problems discussed here would likely not
> arise if what was transferred and inserted into the DOM was real
> namespaced XML.

They're namespaced by the base class element, i.e. all the hReview
element have to be contained within an element with classname
'hreview'. So anything looking for hreview classes only needs to look
at children to elements with said class.

Using namespaced XML goes against the design principles of
microformats. They're designed to be easy, simple, QUICK to read and
write, no need to bother around with things like namespacing. In
essence, why use complex XML features when a simple classname will do?

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net