[wp-hackers] Memcached backend for the Object Cache

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.co.nz
Mon Dec 19 22:26:06 GMT 2005

David Chait wrote:

>The problem is getting >shared< hosts to learn and adopt technical
>approaches that would reduce the load across their server farms. :)
>Reducing disk load (well, and cpu) is a good piece... especially as it
>reduces SQL hits as well.  Can we get DreamHost to try it? ;)

One problem - memcached has no security.  So if you give a bunch of
users access to a single memcached instance, anyone will be able to
overwrite anyone else's data.  Unless someone makes memcached
multi-user-aware, it probably won't be useful to shared hosts running
lots of WP installs.  (Still great for wordpress.com, WPMU etc, though.)

Cheers,
Phil