[wp-hackers] Memcached backend for the Object Cache

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 21:52:52 GMT 2005

Public-available servers won't really help -- you're not going over the open
internet to memcache...

Yes, this seems like only truly useful to:

- dedicated-hosting-box hosted sites
- larger WP rollouts (Wordpress.com, WPMU, smart hosts...) who want to trade
off physical memory to reduce database and hard disk hits.

Don't get me wrong.. I think it's a cool addition, and a few of the big WP
sites will find it immensely useful at reducing loads, but for the other 95%
of folks this is just something to dream about. ;)

The problem is getting >shared< hosts to learn and adopt technical
approaches that would reduce the load across their server farms. :)
Reducing disk load (well, and cpu) is a good piece... especially as it
reduces SQL hits as well.  Can we get DreamHost to try it? ;)

-d