[wp-hackers] Haven't installed WordPress yet - run install.php

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Fri Aug 19 02:29:32 GMT 2005

Quoting Andy Skelton:

> On 8/18/05, Lorelle VanFossen wrote:
>> Due to an unannounced security change with my server, for hours now
>> people visiting my site have been greeted with:
>>
>>    " It doesn't look like you've installed WP yet. Try running
>> install.php <http://www.cameraontheroad.com/wp-admin/install.php>."
>>
>> I have updated the password for access to my server, but it seems this
>> security change has borked access to my database but I can't gain access
>> to the database because the server is updating whatever it is that is
>> screwing up access.  So for HOURS this has been sitting there.
>
> Relle, that message is generated in index.php, long before WP tries to
> connect to your database. If it had failed to connect to the database,
> WP would have said so.
>
> The error above is only presented when index.php is unable to find
> wp-config.php. This can be due to a missing file but more likely, the
> file is sitting there with the wrong owner/group/permissions.
>
> I realize you are having issues with your host and that they are
> database-related but I didn't want any misconceptions about that error
> message to survive this thread.
>
> Andy

Have you got a recent back-up of your home directory? One of the major
powers of
a paranoid backup scheme is the ability to solve this particular type of
problems at ease. It's a matter of brute-force (bandwidth), not fiddling. Put
differently, rather than beating the bushes, you should be able to just
restore
all files or graft the blog's parent directory.

It is also where the separation between the data(base) and the
application makes
WordPress a wonderful package. Backup is valuable for restoration as
well as the
ability to revert back to a working state shall something go wrong...

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz