[wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 17:41:40 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Podz wrote:
>
>>     Package of changed files alone
>

> What are your thoughts on the possibilities for mistakes being greater
> when the instructions are more complex? Having one or two files out of
> sync is a bear to debug.

I will continue to advise that people do a clean, complete install of
new files and upgrade that way. From experience, 99.9% of errors come
about because of people trying to skip things "to save time". But since
1.2/1.2.1/1.2.2 then 1.5/1.5.1/1.5.1.2 and 1.5.1.3, the clamour for
these files has got louder and to be honest, nastier. We try and point
things out in the forums and the first thing to be replied is insults.
It would be nice to say "Changed files, there, go away"
It's not that long since the current version - there will be people
calling for it.

>> Come Thursday, I'll rewrite the Upgrade guide from the the letter U up.
>> Matt - can we rewrite parts of the Readme.html that concern upgrade ?
>> The 4 points are true, but a link there to a specific guide might be
>> good.
>
> My main concern is to keep it concise enough that people actually read
> it, rather than skimming over. Updating the readme.html isn't a problem.

I completely agree about concise. But I do think we need to remind
people about files they may have altered - I cannot be the only person
to have clicked 'delete' from the server only to shout "NOOO!" instantly
- such as vars.php for smileys, wp-admin.css, root files, the odd files
   that for some reason live outside the norm.
What I think we should aim for is keep the readme guide as is, but add a
link. The directions for that link would be to suggest that if you are
in the slightest bit unsure / modded your install, then click a link and
go read some more. If we can spell it out it might help.
The Codex pages for upgrade do need a sort though but until Thursday I'm
stuck on another task.

P.