[wp-hackers] Plugins to incorporate

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Tue Aug 9 16:47:11 GMT 2005

Lorelle VanFossen wrote:
> I agree that the Codex Search plugin or something similar would be a
> great thing to incorporate into the next version. The faster users can
> get to the resources they need to get "HELP" then the happier they will
> be. It's wonderful to be able to search from the admin panels, click on
> a link, have it open in a new window or tab and then be able to move
> from the help page to the admin panels to proceed through the process
> step by step.

I think Codex search is a great example of things that are a plugin, but
if we were to include them they should just be integrated with the core.
Other examples would be the DB backup or the upgrade notification
plugin. (The smaller the code the more likely it'll be included.)

I think Hello Dolly is a good example plugin in terms that it's very
easy to understand and change, in fact I've seen at least a dozen
plugins that were modifications of HD by changing the lyrics or sprucing
it up. That was partly the point.

What's missing is, as someone pointed out, a whiz-bang plugin that does
something exciting and notable. Gravatars are nice for that, as they're
a popular feature that won't be integrated, but I'm not sure if the mix
is right.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://photomatt.net  | http://wordpress.org