[wp-hackers] Hello Dolly's future

Jalenack jalenack at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:58:02 GMT 2005

The new 1.6 design makes the default Hello Dolly plugin styling very off
(overlapping with the sign out and profile links). Perhaps this is a good
time to discuss whether Hello Dolly should continue or be replaced by a
more....useful plugin.

I don't know if Matt is partial to it, but it just seems useless. As a
plugin example for newbie plugin writers, it may be alright (due to its
simplicity). But perhaps it could be replaced with something like the Docs
Search (formerly Codex Search) plugin or the WP Up-to-date plugin. They are
considerably more complex than Hello Dolly, but they're very useful. The
styling would need to be tweaked so they don't conflict with the new stuff
in the top-right (perhaps they could be bumped right below that).

My vote is for the Docs Search plugin, because it gives users tons of WP
information at their fingertips, and could reduce a lot of repetitive forum
posts. Also because it's my plugin (and Owen's!)..heh

Thoughts?

--
Andrew Sutherland
Jalenack.com <http://Jalenack.com>