[wp-hackers] Making it better

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Apr 22 03:10:32 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:

>That's not to say that we shouldn't endeavor to make templates as easy
>as possible, but anyone looking at a template is not an average joe
>user.  Anyone posting to the forums is not an average joe user.  Someone
>who wants to make each category have a different look is not average
>joe.  Average joe didn't even install WordPress himself.

What totally blows my mind is that someone who knows virtually nothing
about performing the task would feel correct to complain that the task
is too difficult for them to perform.  This is like me getting pissed
because I botched that surgery I expected to go so well, relying only on
my extensive experience applying Band-Aids.  Completely unrealisitc.

Nonetheless I do think improving the editability of templates is
do-able.  (Obviously, since I attempted to craft some of this
customizability in the RedAlt tool.)  Documentation could be brought to
bear on "Creating Theme Templates From Scratch".  A library of code
patterns for templates might be helpful.

>27 years old.  I remember 27.

Glad I'm not the only other fogey here.  ;)

Owen