[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sun Apr 3 22:24:02 GMT 2005

Jeff Minard wrote:

> And I don't care. (And I make plugins, not themes)

What bothers me about many posts I receive from this list (and is
usually remedied by cooler-headed core contributors - thanks guys) is
that there is a lot of shouting from a particular perspective without
evaluating what anyone else's needs may be.

I certainly consider the user experience important, and I feel that the
patch I've provided is a nice first step toward improving it, because it
addresses the problem of dependencies both with a default theme install
and with later user customizations.  I fully expect someone to come
along and offer suggestions to improve or replace my idea so that we can
arrive at a conclusion that will appease the most folks.

So I guess what I'm asking is, How would you allow plugin authors to
maintain credit for their work while maximizing the user experience?
Surely you don't think these are mutually exclusive?

Owen