[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:31:53 GMT 2005

Well, we would have to leave it up to the theme authors to go in and prefix
everything with my_theme or something similar.In the end, something like
Jeff's solution or even one file that could be set aside to be loaded as a
plugin would be an excellent idea. Shell scripting has too many
possibilities for failure.

1. The server is a windows server
2. PHP is running in safe mode
3. Users still have to chmod stuff to get everything to work properly
4. It brings up potential secuirty issues, some of which might get WordPress
banned from some hosting companies.

On Apr 3, 2005 12:02 PM, Jeff Minard <jeff at jrm.cc> wrote:

> David House wrote:
> > Or we could bundle a little shell script with WordPress that installs
> > a theme. It would do something like:
>
> That would be great for anyone with an inclining of how to run shell
> scripts -- or if there was a built-in/add on Theme Manager that could
> execute the script. However, both those options have numerous issues.
>
> It was brought up a while ago that each theme folder have a plugins
> folder inside it, ie:
>
> default/header.php
> default/plugins/time-since.php
>
> And that after determining what theme was being used, plugins would be
> loaded from that theme's plugin folder. I personally like that option
> best. Great for authors, way easier for users -- also makes "themeing"
> have many more powerful options.
>
> (It does raise the issue of plugins being loaded twice...not sure how to
> best handle that. Perhaps some file reading and preg_matching of
> "function xyz" or something.)
>
> Jeff

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com